COVID Winter Grant Scheme
This is a new government initiative, paid through the council, specifically to support households suffering financial hardship as a direct result of the impact of Covid-19.
The government has awarded councils money under the Covid Winter Grant Scheme designed for vulnerable households and families, with or without children, who are particularly affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
This means they are struggling to afford essential food and utility bills throughout the winter period and have no other available support.
Can I claim this grant?
To be eligible for assistance you must:
- Aged 18 or over, or
- A parent or carer, or
- Under 18 years of age and are pregnant or have dependent children or;
- Under the age of 18 and estranged from parents/ living without parental financial support for example living in supported accommodation.
- Living in Sandwell at the point of requesting assistance
- Had an adverse change to their circumstances as a result of Covid-19
- Had an unexpected change to their income or have had unexpected outlays which mean they cannot afford the cost of food, fuel or other essential household items
- Have no access to other funds – such as savings, help from relatives
- The council will issue a maximum of two grants per household to eligible applicants during the grant scheme period. Grants are subject to fund availability.